Blessed Faustina Kowalska was led by an Angel to the chasms of hell. Here are her very words:
Today, I was led by an Angel to the chasms of hell. It is a place of great torture; how awesomely large and extensive it is! The kinds of torture I saw are
– The first torture that constitute hell is the loss of God;
– The second is the perpetual remorse of conscience;
– The third is that one's condition will never change;
– The fourth is the fire that will penetrate the soul without destroying it, a terrible suffering, since it is purely spiritual fire, lit by God's anger;
– The fifth torture is continual darkness and a terrible smell, and despite darknes s , the devi l s and the soul s of the damned see each other and all the evil, both of others and their own;
– The sixth torture is the constant company of Satan;
– The seventh torture is horrible despair, hatred of God, vile words, curses and blasphemies.
These are the tortures suffered by all the damned together, but that is not the end of the sufferings. There are special tortures destined for particular souls. These are the tortures of the senses. Each soul undergoes terrible and indescribable sufferings, related to the manner in which it has sinned.
There are caverns and pits of torture where one form of agony differs from another. I would have died at the very sight of these tortures if the omnipotence of God had not supported me. Let the sinner know that they will be tortured throughout all eternity in those senses which he made use of to sin.
I am writing this at the command of God, so that no souls may find an excuse by saying there is no hell, or that nobody has ever been there, and so no one can say what it is like.
From the Diary of Sister Faustina (741)